Govt. Girls Higher Secondary School
Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Kodungallur is located at the famous place Kodungallur, Thrissur District, Kerala, India. Kodungallur has its own significance even in ancient Indian History connected with 'Musiris' ancient port town in South India, Thiruvanchikkulam the capital of 'Chera-dynasty',an ancient Buddhist Centre, the historically important pilgrim centers like the first mosque in India Cheraman-Mosque, St. Thomas Church, Marthoma at Azhicode. All these located very near to the school. Govt. Girls HSS Kodungallur established as 'Crangannore Elementary School' in 1896 in 'Sathram Hall' which were connected with the historically famous Kodungallur SreeKurumba Temple. As the temple is at walk-able distance from the school, the famous festivals Kodungallur 'Bharani' and 'Thalapoli', which attracts many pilgrims and tourists, are celebrated nearby this school. The School was upgraded as High School in 1925 and later as Higher Secondary in 1998-99.
Earlier The school was managed by His Highness Cochin-Maharajah with the help of British government. As the school belongs to the Sathram hall of the temple, only the aristocratic and upper cast Hindus were admitted to the school. There were mainly two categories, English and Malayalam medium management. Under English medium section students used to pay high fee, whereas the Malayalam medium students enjoyed the relaxation of fee. But students got chances to study almost all the subjects like Malayalam, Sanskrit, English, Maths, Music, Drawing, Craft etc.. . Most of the teachers were also from aristocratic families. Later the school was open to all sections of the society. Now the structure is entirely changed. Primary education is free by getting scholarships and stipends. Endowment is given to the excellent students, PTA and other govt. institutions and organisations, Municipality also co-operated and involving in all the activities of the school.
At present the situation entirely changed. The doors of the school opened for every sections of the society. The school mainly aims at the education of girls, so that the admission of boys is restricted up to 4th standard. Primary education is free by providing scholarships and concessions. In both High School and Higher Secondary School only girls are admitted, while the High School section is governed by the District Education Department and, administrated by Headmistress. The Higher Secondary School governing is done by Directorate of Higher Secondary Education and administrated by the Principal. Currently the school occupies 1,200 students and 60 teachers. The high school was upgraded as Higher Secondary in 1989-90. Higher secondary established with three disciplines: Humanities, Science, and Commerce.
Well furnished and equipped Science labs, Computer lab for UP, HS & HSS sections, Fully computerised classrooms, Project room, Multimedia room, disciplined students, different student clubs, internet browsing facilities, etc... are the listed landmarks of the modern school. Endowments are executed for the excellent students. Strong PTA, Mother PTA, Staff Council, Campus Ministry, school complex and local administration, everything co-operates to make the school an established one in the state.
View Larger Map